GoodGuyJim

Left audio channel not working on CD games

10 Aug 2019, 21:39

I'm using a Model 1 Genesis with TMSS, an HD Retrovision Component cable with an audio feed from the headphone jack, plugged into a CRT.

Everything is fine for SMS and Genesis games, the audio in the CD bios and Sonic SEGA screens is in stereo, and Sonic CD's sound effects are as well, but all music tracks and all sound for the other CD games I've tried are only coming out of the right channel. Not sure if this is a general quirk with my setup as I've never had a real SegaCD hooked up to it.

I have tried using bios 1.10 and 2.00W

Todd
Admin

Re: Left audio channel not working on CD games

10 Aug 2019, 22:55

Do you have another console to test it on?

GoodGuyJim

11 Aug 2019, 02:54

Not at home but I can borrow a friends.

Mobiusstriptech

12 Aug 2019, 07:09

Do you have a 32x? Does it output stereo? This is most likely an issue with your console.

GoodGuyJim

12 Aug 2019, 23:09

I do not, but I'm picking up a friends Genesis on my way home today. I am also suspecting it is my console, in my research of the issue I see that my revision (VA7, yes I know... :P) appears to have separate capacitors for the left and right channels on SegaCD audio, maybe the left one went bad.

Should know for sure tonight, thanks for the responses!

GoodGuyJim

13 Aug 2019, 05:10

OK so interestingly enough, my friends Genesis does the same thing. His is a High Definition Graphics Model 1 with the long FCC ID. He does have a real SegaCD though he hasn't used it in a while.

I put real headphones in both systems to confirm it's the audio coming out of the headphone jack that only has the right channel, so it's not a problem with the HD Retrovision cable. Also if this helps, the UI sound on the MegaSD menu also only comes out of the right speaker. Just to do my due diligence I also checked with the cables alone and no audio from the headphones and with an RF switch and both produce the expected mono output to both speakers (not sure if that's helpful but I figured may as well).

I took mine apart to inspect the board and I don't see any super obvious signs of damage to the capacitors or anything else.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot? I can source another Genesis but it'll take a few days.

Todd
Admin

13 Aug 2019, 05:40

And you get stereo audio from the headphone jack on these machines with original carts?

Mobiusstriptech

13 Aug 2019, 06:03

This is going to be a really stupid question but just to be sure I will ask it. The patch cable for the headphone jack to the hdretrovision cables is a stereo one right? It should be a TRS, Tip/Ring/Sleeve. I only ask because I have seen the mono patch cables used before by accident.

The reason I asked about the 32x is the MegaSD uses the 32x audio input channels. Not the CD channels. This is because the CD channels are not connected to the cart slot but the 32x channels are. The chances of 2 separate consoles having the same issue obviously seem slim but ruling out the cables for sure is a good idea.

GoodGuyJim

13 Aug 2019, 14:09

Listen this is a stupid issue so ask all the questions you'd like :D

I haven't used an original cart since I got the MegaSD but I just put Sonic 3 in and confirmed that I do get stereo.

Just to reiterate, I do get stereo from the MegaSD if I'm playing Genesis or SMS games, and some Sega CD games do output in stereo, any sound that is using the Genesis audio hardware (A-X, Sonic CD, and Spider-Man for example), but all CD audio only comes out of the right channel. So all music, from the SegaCD player or the game, and any sampled sound effects, so everything from Final Fight CD.

I'm going to talk to another friend today to see if I can get him to test it on his MegaSg.

Todd
Admin

13 Aug 2019, 17:32

Yes, once you test it on a Mega Sg, do report back.

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”