betterdavid

Black Screen When Trying to Run Using Mega SG

06 Aug 2019, 07:44

Jailbreak 7.5 AND Official firmware 4.5
Whichever firmware the MegaSD shipped with (since I can't download anything but the manual from the downloads section).

Whether I have an SD card inserted into the Mega SD or not, I select to "Run Cartridge" from the Mega SG menu and I get a black screen. If I go back to the Mega SG menu and choose "Run Cartridge" again (without rebooting) it will boot the Mega SD menu.

In both cases, the green light on the Mega SD lights up.

I'm going to test it again without using the jailbreak firmware, but it seems like something is definitely up.

UPDATE: Flashed back to stock Analog firmware and it still has the same issue.

UPDATE 2: It looks like my Mega SD wasn't set to "Game load reset type" as HARD when it was shipped to me. Actually, most of the defaults that the manual states don't really match what I'm seeing in my menus. I'll go through and adjust accordingly. The Game load reset type setting change seems to at least get me to the game selection menu without needing to reset.

neodev

Re: Black Screen When Trying to Run Using Mega SG

06 Aug 2019, 14:11

Yes, we have noticed that some carts don't have proper defaults. We are improving it in the next fw, and also added a 'reset to default' option.

Dave

10 Sep 2019, 16:12

I’ve got the same problem (black screen when selecting Run Cartridge on a Mega SG). However, I can’t seem to get the menu to show by returning to the menu and selecting Run Cartridge again. I’ve downloaded the 1.03 R07 firmware update and placed it as the only file on an SD card, but I’m not prompted to update.

I’ve attempted to boot while holding in the button as well as holding the button for several seconds while booted.

The green light on the Mega SG is lit. A Mega Everdrive X7 works without issue.

Ideas?

Todd
Admin

10 Sep 2019, 16:32

Do you have a regular Genesis or Mega Drive console to test it on?

Riz

10 Sep 2019, 16:35

Try changing your MSG boot settings to direct to cart instead of booting to the menu. On the MSD make sure there is a volume number next to CDDA and PCM settings. It should be 80 for each, but if nothing shows press left or right until it does. Also make sure reset type is set to hard.

Dave

10 Sep 2019, 17:09

Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to any of my original systems (they're in storage across the country).

Changed the MSG boot setting to be direct to cart. No change. Per the original post in the thread, I also attempted to open the menu and select Run Cartridge again.

A technical detail that I left out on my original post. The SD card in the Mega SD is being written to when I attempt to boot. It gets the directories BUP, CHEATS, and STATES created.

For background, I am currently running firmware 7.6. (Was 4.2? when I started yesterday. Updated for troubleshooting purposes.)

Dave

10 Sep 2019, 17:12

Oh, and to specifically answer the other, I didn't change the settings requested by Riz on the MSD, as I don't have a mechanism to do that with.

Is there a way to provide new settings (or a reset?) via the filesystem or physical manipulation?

Todd
Admin

10 Sep 2019, 17:37

you can drop an empty file named reset.cfg onto the root of microsd card to force reset the cart.

Dave

10 Sep 2019, 18:25

Created file (using command "touch reset.cfg") on an empty SD card formatted as ExFAT. The file was removed and the BUP, CHEATS, and STATES directories were created. Still have a black screen. Reset the Mega SG to factory defaults, then changed the settings for CD audio (from the manual) and boot directly to cartridge (from this thread). Still have a black screen. I then reattempted booting with the button on the Mega SD held down and holding the button on the Mega SD down after boot. No change, only black screen.

Any other thoughts? Is there a way to pull diagnostics from the filesystem?

Dave

10 Sep 2019, 18:53

Also, I tested flashing the Mega SD with firmware 4.6 (current release of non-jailbreak) and reformatting the MicroSD card as FAT32. No change, although the reset.cfg file continued to be removed and empty directories BUB, CHEATS, and STATES were created. Copying the firmware update file [SN]_update.upd to the root doesn't provide any UI to update.

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”