Todd
Admin

MegaSD FAQ (Questions and Troubleshooting)

23 Jun 2019, 06:42

Since we released MegaSD there has been a huge demand for more information about the cartridge, what it does and what caveats it has.

Before we get to the FAQ, please, PLEASE read the user manual for MegaSD: https://downloads.terraonion.com/public ... manual.pdf

This thread is NOT for general discussions. If you have something that should be added to the FAQ or see something incorrect, please post below.

This thread will evolve over time.

-------------------------------------General Questions-------------------------------------

Question: What is the MegaSD?

Answer: The MegaSD is an all-in-one FPGA cartridge that duplicates ALL of the Sega CD/Mega-CD hardware and a rom flash cartridge into an easy to use cartridge that plugs into the cart slot on your Sega Genesis or Mega Drive console.

Question: Does 32X work? Can I play 32X games without owning a 32X?

Answer: Yes and No. The MegaSD supports 32X cartridge game roms and 32X CDs (more on that later, see MSDEXP question below), however you still need to own the 32X hardware as there is no way for us to duplicate it into the MegaSD.

Question: If I have a 32X attached to my Genesis or Mega Drive, will I be able to play Sega/Mega-CD and 32X CD games from the MegaSD while it's plugged into the 32X cartridge port?

Answer: No. The 32X cartridge slot does not pass through all of the data pins that we need so there is no way for SMS, CD or 32X CD games to work. The MSDEXP adapter is required.

Question: What is the MSDEXP adapter?

Answer: The MSDEXP adapter allows the MegaSD cartridge to attach to the side expansion slot of your Sega Genesis or Mega Drive console instead of the cartridge slot. This allows CD and 32X cd games to function when the 32X is still attached to your console.

Question: This sounds great! What's the disadvantages of using the MSDEXP adapter?

Answer: The side expansion port has several limits: Sega Master System games can not play from it, cartridge roms are limited to 256kb in size which makes it effectively unusable as a rom flash cart. Basically the MSDEXP adapter only serves the purpose of allowing folks to keep their 32X plugged in and play both CD and 32X cds.

Question: Can I use the MegaSD to play CD games while my Sega or Mega-CD unit is attached or with a console that has integrated CDrom?

Answer: No. Due to a bus conflict, MegaSD is not able to function in these scenarios. You can still use it as a full featured rom flash cart, however all of it's CD functionality will be disabled.

Question: What all console, CD and 32X combinations are supported or not supported?

Answer: Here is a Hardware Compatibility chart (it's also in the manual):

MEGASD***

Re: MegaSD FAQ (Questions and Troubleshooting)

27 Jun 2019, 19:23

Virtua Racing support?

edwoodjr

27 Jun 2019, 21:33

CHD support? All my games are CHD.

sincethenes

30 Jun 2019, 08:15

First of all thank you for this. As soon as I heard about it I ordered! On to my question ... Is the MSDEXP adapter a separate order or does it come with the Mega SD? I don't see it for sale in your shop. Thanks again!

Todd
Admin

30 Jun 2019, 08:57

sincethenes wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 08:15
First of all thank you for this. As soon as I heard about it I ordered! On to my question ... Is the MSDEXP adapter a separate order or does it come with the Mega SD? I don't see it for sale in your shop. Thanks again!
Sold separately later on.

Gummy Bear

26 Sep 2019, 15:10

Quick question that I think belongs here:

Graphics scaler speedup.
Are there any known issues with any games?
I have just left it on and haven't noticed any issues.
Just curious.

Gummy Bear

05 Oct 2019, 20:06

Is it a secret? ;)

neodev

05 Oct 2019, 20:10

There is only a known issue, in marko's football, if it's enabled, there is a line of garbage at the bottom of the loading screens.

Gummy Bear

05 Oct 2019, 23:20

neodev wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 20:10
There is only a known issue, in marko's football, if it's enabled, there is a line of garbage at the bottom of the loading screens.
Ah that's cool.
Football sucks ass anyway :)

Return to “MegaSD Tech Support”