SuperAkuma

Issue with Bang Bead

15 Aug 2019, 00:45

My setup:
MVS-4 Slot
NeoBuilderUI_1.06
NeoSD MVS FW 1.06 R10

I've ensured that Visual Studio 2015 C++ Update 3 32-bit Redistributable has been installed and now gone through 3 different repos to obtain the .ZIP file however every time I select this .NEO file to load it gets stuck in a constant reset. To be more specific, it flashes the .NEO file (taking about as long as I'd suspect so no indication of issue at this stage) and then goes to the green boot screen we typically see when powering up the cabinet. After the green screen it moves on to the next cart (other 3 slots populated with real carts), and the cycle continues. All other carts function as expected and I didn't get any errors in NeoBuilder when converting the files. Anybody else experiencing this? Any constructive insight is welcome and appreciated!

It's worth noting that almost every other game I've attempted to play loads as expected including some of the larger games (ie: KOF2k3, Garou, Metal Slug 5, etc)

SuperAkuma

Re: Issue with Bang Bead

18 Aug 2019, 03:38

I've now noticed multiple .NEO files not booting properly. I went ahead and re-processed a couple of the .ZIPs again through the converter on a different laptop, but same result. Anybody else having similar issues? Was really looking forward to having access to some carts I've yet to add to the collection due to scarcity, but seems like 30% of the time I have to bail and move on as the title I select won't boot. Thoughts?

Todd
Admin

18 Aug 2019, 08:08

Sounds like you need to source some different roms.

SuperAkuma

18 Aug 2019, 20:17

Seems odd that 3 different repos would all have problematic roms, but as instructed I'm downloading a 4th currently in hopes of seeing a different result. I'll post the outcome soon.

SuperAkuma

18 Aug 2019, 20:33

No luck again, for reference I got this 4th set here: (https://ia800100.us.archive.org/zip_dir ... ormats=ZIP). Is there a mandatory single set that needs to be used and I'm missing the direction for it? Beginning to question the integrity of the hardware now.

yoshi41

18 Aug 2019, 22:23

Look for a recent MAME set. I converted (almost) all games from MAME sometime ago and they work fine. It takes a while if you run it against a full set, but in this case you don‘t need to separate the Neo Geo games.

neodev

18 Aug 2019, 23:18

Did neovalidator say the neo is ok? You can also try doing a factory reset. Just create a file named reset.cfg in the memory card, and neosd will restore to defauts on boot

SuperAkuma

19 Aug 2019, 17:38

neodev wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 23:18
Did neovalidator say the neo is ok? You can also try doing a factory reset. Just create a file named reset.cfg in the memory card, and neosd will restore to defauts on boot
I've tried searching for the validator tool, but only coming up with source code files. Did you have to compile it or were you able to find an executable? Thanks for the tip regarding the 'reset.cfg' option, but after executing it I see no change.

SuperAkuma

19 Aug 2019, 17:41

yoshi41 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 22:23
Look for a recent MAME set. I converted (almost) all games from MAME sometime ago and they work fine. It takes a while if you run it against a full set, but in this case you don‘t need to separate the Neo Geo games.
Just grabbed "Bang Bead" (staying focused on this title for now until I find a set that works) from here for reference (https://archive.org/download/MAME212RomsOnlyMerged) and same result. Is there a specific MAME set that I should be using?

yoshi41

19 Aug 2019, 18:25

Any recent MAME set should do it, I don't think Neo Geo ROMs have changed in the last couple of years.

I compared the Bang Bead ROM from archive.org with mine, it's the same. I re-generated the .neo file with the archive.org ROM, result is the same .neo file I already have (same CRC). I tested the game on my Omega CMVS and AES, both work fine.

I think your issue is not related to the ROM. To rule that out, I've sent you a PM with my working .neo file.

Return to “NEOSD and NEOSD Pro MVS Tech Support”