Gara

Re: PSX to PCEngine converter

19 Apr 2018, 23:20

In case the info helps any one here the Kitty TE (Same as Cthulhu) requires a Multi-tap to function correctly. If directly connected it won't allow you to control the SSDS3 menu. It does however work if you hot swap to the stick after getting into the game. If you use a Multi-tap the stick will function completely and allow proper switching between 2 button and 6 button configuration.

PC Engine 6ft extension cable. Don't overpay on eBay. These are the same ones being resold all over the place. Will not fit the Turbografx 16
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

10ft Pc Engine Cable that's a good choice for putting a RJ45 plug on for the Kitty or Cthulhu. Same cable I use.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=518

opt2not

20 Apr 2018, 01:35

Gara wrote:
In case the info helps any one here the Kitty TE (Same as Cthulhu) requires a Multi-tap to function correctly. If directly connected it won't allow you to control the SSDS3 menu. It does however work if you hot swap to the stick after getting into the game. If you use a Multi-tap the stick will function completely and allow proper switching between 2 button and 6 button configuration.
That's weird, because the MC Cthulhu works in the menu without the Multi-tap. I know this because I've been building RJ45-to-PCE cables for the last 2 months for people and I've been testing them all with the SSDS3 now. From power-up, the MC Cthulhu initialized properly, and you're able to navigate the SSDS3 menu without problems.

I wonder why it's different on the Kitty TE if it's based on the MC Cthulhu?

Gara

20 Apr 2018, 05:56

That's interesting. The Kitty is pretty wonky unless connected through a multi-tap. In the SSDS3 menu the Run button will register but the directional inputs don't work at all when directly connected. Maybe an older firmware? I haven't bothered updating it

opt2not

20 Apr 2018, 06:29

That’s quite possible, but I’m not sure if Toodles has done a firmware release in a long time.

I’m wondering if the architecture of the Kitty is much different than the Cthulhu which is causing this issue.

Also, how long is your cabling?

I’ve been keeping to the standard 6 feet length to reduce signal degradation. If you cable is too long, it might be outputting a lesser signal.

Gara

21 Apr 2018, 05:31

10 feet. I'd be pretty amazed if 4 feet was the difference. Even extended to 16 feet would seem like a pretty trivial number. The PC Engine support has always been fairly questionable with Toodles. 7 years ago barely anyone cared about PC Engine support.

With Retro gaming so popular these days I'm surprised the Cthulhu isn't being actively sold or at least a comparable board. I guess it's pretty highly specialized. You need not only a retro gamer but one who likes a joystick instead of a controller who is willing to modify a stick.

Are there any other choices out there? Cthulhu prices are a little stupid right now on eBay. I'd love to do another multistick.

keropi

15 May 2018, 00:57

oh glad to read this as I ordered one of these adapters a couple of weeks ago. :mrgreen:
I've had other TOTOTEK stuff in the past, they all worked fine for me , I still remember those LPT megadrive/pce flashcarts :lol:

GohanX

15 May 2018, 15:03

opt2not wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 01:35
Gara wrote:
That's weird, because the MC Cthulhu works in the menu without the Multi-tap. I know this because I've been building RJ45-to-PCE cables for the last 2 months for people and I've been testing them all with the SSDS3 now. From power-up, the MC Cthulhu initialized properly, and you're able to navigate the SSDS3 menu without problems.

I wonder why it's different on the Kitty TE if it's based on the MC Cthulhu?
Yeah, I tested my Saturn Cthulhu box and it worked fine in the SSD3 menu.

derFunkenstein

10 Jun 2018, 00:58

Wish I'd realized these existed before I bought an Avenue Pad. LOL

edit: wait, looks like 6-button emulation isn't possible. The ones I've found have turbo for buttons I and II and R1 acts as button III on the Avenue Pad 3, but no IV V or VI. Also covered in this thread.

So there are some Arcade Card games that may not be supported that great, like Garou Densetsu 2 and Special, World Heroes, and obvi Street Fighter II. Prolly a few others.

karaokeninja

17 Jul 2018, 18:00

FYI, I tested both the Tototek PS2 to PCE adapter and the Uni-Gen to PCE adapter (that lets you use Sega Genesis/Megadrive controllers on PCE).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdcM9s_OLKY

I definitely found the Tototek one doesn't work right with the multi-tap, but the Uni-Gen to PCE DOES work. The maker of the Uni-Gen told me it's because it uses the same chips as the genuine PC#E controller whereas the Tototek adapter is using a microcontroller, FWIW.

keropi

17 Jul 2018, 20:27

interesting, where can one buy this "Uni-Gen 2 PC Engine" adapter?

Return to “Arcade and Retro Gaming”