neodev

Re: What you guys want us to build for the next projects ?

04 Oct 2018, 10:42

Yes, PGM has some great games. I have a board and a few carts, and they have very rich colours and animations. Altough I'm not sure if they work anymore. The board has been on storage for years.
IIRC the PGM boards has more colors than neogeo/cps, 5 or 6 bits per pixel instead of 4.
The main problem with them is that latest games, like DF or the gladiator run mostly on an ARM cpu in the cartridge, used as protection.

And yes, CPS1 is an easy system. I've seen some chinese multi boards with the games already flashed. But to make a proper CPS1 board, it should support QSound games with qsound audio quality and not just using bootleg audio roms, and also have an integrated C board so it doesn't require a working one. Also making a C board replacement would be nice.
Also system16 & system18 are easy systems to make flash boards for.
Anyone with a little experience in FPGAs and board design could easily build a CPS1 (non qsound and external C board), sys16 and sys18.

Tgames

07 Oct 2018, 07:01

The best project to do next it's a Sega CD ODE without a Sega CD at all.

Because the Sega CD doesn't output anything regardless video (so no RGB drama here).

And i think it will be better to have a Custom Sega CD PCB to connect to the Megadrive by this way.

So any megadrive users (V1 and V2) (who doesn't have a Sega CD will be interrested).

By this way it will be plug and play (plug the PCB into EXT port of the Megadrive).
And no need to have a Sega CD at all (and no need to do a ODE for V1 Sega CD and V2 Sega CD like that !).

Just a PCB with a FPGA, a power supply port on the PCB (if the Megadrive doesn't power enough the PCB like the original Sega CD).
Use the SD Card slot with the original sega bios on the root of the SD Card and ISO folders.
The bios auto launch a Menu where we can select the game and we good to go.

I don't know if you can use the Megadrive cartridge port and a cable beetween the cartridge and the EXT port to have enough power to not use a external Power supply and use the EXT port at the same time. Maybe it's just impossible, just a proposition.

The Sega CD 32X games library is so small maybe it's not interesting to let the cartridge port empty (or you can support Megadrive games also)

And after this project a Gamecube ODE solution (the Megadrive (nothing to do with Sega, just the name) ODE for Gamecube is always out of stock so...)

All others consoles have already their solutions (like Saturn, Dreamcast, CPS2/CPS1 (Darksoft), PS2 (softmod), Xbox (softmod), Wii (softmod), etc...)

Nothing has been done on Sega CD. And will be a success in sales for sure like that

opt2not

10 Oct 2018, 02:53

Another suggestion I have is to build a proper PSX Replacement ODE. Something that will compete with the PSIO. That thing is never in stock, has had massive delays in fulfilling orders, and requires intrusive soldering work...and it has to use the parallel port, which means it can't be installed on the more compact PSOne.

Morden

11 Oct 2018, 20:18

opt2not wrote:
Another suggestion I have is to build a proper PSX Replacement ODE. Something that will compete with the PSIO. That thing is never in stock, has had massive delays in fulfilling orders, and requires intrusive soldering work...and it has to use the parallel port, which means it can't be installed on the more compact PSOne.
Have you subscribed to their notifications? I have just received an email notifying me of another pre-order batch. The wait won't be short, but I feel it's worth it. A proper ODE would of course eliminate any incompatibilities with games using CDDA, which PSIO has problems with [only select few titles, from what I understand, which rely heavily on the audio data transfer access, like Vib Ribbon]. Anyway, my preorder is paid, so we'll see how good this thing is once it arrives. In three to six months. Haha.

opt2not

11 Oct 2018, 21:14

Morden wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 20:18
opt2not wrote:
Have you subscribed to their notifications? I have just received an email notifying me of another pre-order batch. The wait won't be short, but I feel it's worth it. A proper ODE would of course eliminate any incompatibilities with games using CDDA, which PSIO has problems with [only select few titles, from what I understand, which rely heavily on the audio data transfer access, like Vib Ribbon]. Anyway, my preorder is paid, so we'll see how good this thing is once it arrives. In three to six months. Haha.
Yeah I mentioned it because I got the notification and was thinking that a better solution should be achievable. It sucks to be at the mercy of one vendor supplying this kind of thing, especially one with a bad reputation of delays.

The incompatibilities and the hassle of having to solder multiple points on the mainboard and install their switch PCB is really off-putting. If they followed an easier route like the USB-GDROM or GDEmu for the Dreamcast, or Rhea/Phoebe of the Saturn where you just remove the Optical Drive and replace it with a PCB, then it would be a perfect solution. Especially if you can support the PSOne model as well.

Anyway, good luck with your unit, and please pose your thoughts on it once you've got it up and running.

elevengames

16 Oct 2018, 19:58

Analogue has announced the Mega SG. From a couple of articles I’ve read, it sounds like Sega CD support will be possible on the FPGA within the console. So, with a jailbreak firmware, you wouldn’t even need a Sega CD attached. Also sounds like they are working on a 32X solution, possibly implementing it into the existing FPGA (which seems like too much of an undertaking to me).

Does this change anyone’s desires for a dedicated Sega/Mega-CD ODE?

Edit: More quotes have been released, and it was confirmed the Sega CD will NOT be incorporated into the FPGA, and will require a Sega CD system. Please disregard.

fenikso

18 Oct 2018, 17:47

Pretty cool that it'll still attach up to the CD add-on, though.
It's high time cymbaline.

donluca

01 Nov 2018, 13:29

neodev wrote:
And yes, CPS1 is an easy system. I've seen some chinese multi boards with the games already flashed. But to make a proper CPS1 board, it should support QSound games with qsound audio quality and not just using bootleg audio roms, and also have an integrated C board so it doesn't require a working one. Also making a C board replacement would be nice.
Anyone with a little experience in FPGAs and board design could easily build a CPS1 (non qsound and external C board), sys16 and sys18.
Does this mean that you'll let other people do a CPS1 multi and won't do one of your own?
I'll always support you because I like how you guys think and the thought process which goes in your products, from start to finish and I'd *really* like a *proper* CPS1 multi (non qsound and even without an emulated C board would be fine) from you.

The point is that, of course, if you're not making one, then I'll have to get it somewhere else. I'd love to hear if a CPS1 multi is a possibility in the future or if it's completely out of the question.

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

05 Nov 2018, 15:37

donluca wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 13:29
neodev wrote:
Does this mean that you'll let other people do a CPS1 multi and won't do one of your own?
I'll always support you because I like how you guys think and the thought process which goes in your products, from start to finish and I'd *really* like a *proper* CPS1 multi (non qsound and even without an emulated C board would be fine) from you.

The point is that, of course, if you're not making one, then I'll have to get it somewhere else. I'd love to hear if a CPS1 multi is a possibility in the future or if it's completely out of the question.
He means that if we make a solution for those systems, is going to be perfect. Not something fast and dirty to grab fast money.

There are things comming but we are not going to coment what those are until those are finished.

Time will prove if its better to get our products or others.

Good things take a lot of time to get finished. Our goal is to delivery good solutions, not dirty ones.

donluca

05 Nov 2018, 16:32

Thanks for the reply and, most importantly, if I understood correctly, for telling that there are no projects which are off the board and it will be only a matter of time before it will be made.

Most people here have been waiting for 10+ years for proper arcade multiboards, not just NeoGeo, but there are *lots* of other arcade boards which are waiting for a proper solution.

This to say that I don't think anyone is really in a hurry. I'd rather wait more years than get a half-assed solution.
Meanwhile we'll live with it, using emulation, pandora's boxes and what not, until the product will be revealed.

Return to “Arcade and Retro Gaming”