420neogeo

Re: Avoid: Retrobit A/V video cable for Genesis II/Megadrive II

22 Apr 2018, 23:59

I've tested the high quality HDretrovision cable as well as the crappy Chinese cable on 4 different TV's now with the same issue. 2 different TVs of differing vintage and make in my home and two TVs at the game store.
(https://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis/)

We also tested both my turbografx 16 console and the owner's turbografx on 2 separate TV's at the shop using both types of cables with the SD3 and produced the same result.

so that's 4 tvs, 2 different cables, and 2 different turbografx consoles with the exact same results using my SD3.

if the SD3 had the same results on two different TV's with 2 different consoles and 2 different cables then is it not safe to say that it's the SD3?
Last edited by 420neogeo on 23 Apr 2018, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

Syn

23 Apr 2018, 00:06

Led, LCD, plasma and crt?

LED with retro-access OSSC https://youtu.be/9zVSl31uoOo

CRT https://youtu.be/mcVeRhcdNrk

It's all in stereo too. I wish I lived closer as it sucks to see you struggle.
Last edited by Syn on 23 Apr 2018, 00:28, edited 2 times in total.

420neogeo

23 Apr 2018, 00:11

I believe the 4 TV's I've tested were either LCD or CRT but I could be wrong. One of the TV's is a fabulous gaming tv from 2001 that I use without any issue for all my classic gaming consoles. I'm about to head over to a friend's house and I'll test my setup with his plasma tv but I have a feeling that the results will be the same. I have tested my super sd system 3 with high quality cables (that are confirmed to work), used multiple TVs, and multiple turbografx consoles and continue to receive the same blistering sound issue. This is not a matter of some faint/minor sound I've heard people complaining about; this is a deafening and continuous static that is present whenever sound is supposed to be coming from one of the channels. At this point, I think I need to chat with "NeoSD" (Alex?) to figure out what's going on here.

I am willing to ship my turbografx and expensive @$$ cable with the SD3 back to be tested. The same result was achieved using two different consoles/ the make of cable is confirmed to work and I also tried using a Chinese cable as well. This was all done using the SD3 on both consoles on 2 different TVs at the store. I really don't want a refund on this, I've been lusting after it for so long; I just want to play it.

Syn

23 Apr 2018, 00:38

It very well could be a bad unit. 😑

I've suggested all I know and can't add anything.

420neogeo

23 Apr 2018, 00:53

thanks for your input and trouble shooting suggestions (all of you).

I'm going to talk with the maker and send my unit back to be checked and tested along with my turbografx and hdretrovision cable.

GadgetUK164

23 Apr 2018, 11:21

Have you tested the cable with a Megadrive MKII to make sure the cable is OK?

420neogeo

23 Apr 2018, 16:11

I have not tested the hdretrovision cable on a genesis 2. However, I did test both turbografx consoles using both the cables that I had and produced the same result. The retrovision cable improved the picture and sound quality coming from the working "channel" but the issue with the other sound channel only providing loud static that completely drowns out any other sounds emanating from the system was still present whenever a track was being played from that side on both systems. I sent the following msg using the NeoSD support service on their website but I'm wondering if there's a better way of getting in touch with the maker?

"I recently received my super sd system 3 from you guys and am having a serious sound issue with it. Prior to writing you, I have read all of your posts on neo-geo.com and I'm a contributing member on your terraonion forum. I have made two videos of the sound issue and have tested it on 4 televisions of varying vintage and type. I have purchased two cables for it; one being a crappy Chinese knockoff and the other being the very high quality HDretrovision cable that is confirmed by many members to work with your product. I have also tested my super sd system 3 on two different turbografx 16 consoles just to be sure that it wasn't my console causing the issue. I recorded videos of both tests and will include them below for reference. I am not looking for a refund on this but I have spent a lot of money to obtain your product and I'd really just like to be able to enjoy playing it. I would like to send you back my super sd system 3, my hdretrovision cable, and my turbografx console for you to test. Please keep in mind that I tested the sd3 on multiple consoles using multiple cables and multiple tvs and it consistently produced the same sound issue. Given my fairly extensive testing, it appears as though it's the sd3 unit itself causing the difficulty and not my turbografx console or cables. I did notice that one of my pins on my system was bent and after fixing that, the colour tint issue that I was having in the first video was fixed but the sound problem remained as you can see in the second video. I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with the HDretrovision cables but they are known to be of the highest quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TfyoZs ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45Hg-j ... e=youtu.be"

GadgetUK164

23 Apr 2018, 18:18

It could be the SSDS3, but if the cable is wired to the mono pin, it will be the cable. I've had an RGB lead and 2 x composite leads of good quality and all 3 lacked sound on one side. I modded the underneath of the SSDS3 to route the mono pin to the side that was missing on these cables. It could also be a faulty lead! Seems crazy to consider shipping the SSDS3, cable and TG16 all the way to Spain before you check the cable is definitely not the issue. Do you have a multimeter? If so, you could check continuity from the DIN to the audio connections. Are you sure that there are no more bent pins too? The ones on the opposite side from the blue that you straightened earlier. Just trying to help btw - not suggesting you don't have a fault, but its worth ruling things out =D

420neogeo

23 Apr 2018, 21:16

You're right. I'll find someone with a genesis and test the cable tomorrow.

RevQuixo

23 Apr 2018, 21:17

Before you ship your unit all the way to Spain, you might want to message Todd (the mod here) and see if he can look at it. He is very technically proficient and might be able to sort out if the unit is bad or not. If it is bad, he is in pretty constant contact with the Terra Onion and should be able to work with them.

I can't speak for him of course, so he may not have the time/resources to take a look at it right now, but if he does it is probably quicker than shipping it overseas.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”