zabun

Re: Avoid: Retrobit A/V video cable for Genesis II/Megadrive II

20 Apr 2018, 10:11

Has anyone tried Tomee's composite cables and can confirm if they are properly wired or not?

420neogeo

21 Apr 2018, 00:42

My hdretrovision cable was delivered to my office and since it’s 420 today, I decided to take the afternoon off so that I could finally play my sd3. To my dismay, the hdretrovision cable did not work, made the colours have a weird old school apple computer tint, and the major sound issue is still present. I made a quick video of the symptoms and any help/input would be greatly appreciated. It’s basically the same issues that the cheap Chinese genesis 2 cables have but with the additional issue of the colour being strangly tinted. None of my TVs have a scart input so that’s not an option. https://youtu.be/3TfyoZsDqmc

FriendofSonic

21 Apr 2018, 06:13

Do you have a V1 or V2 board?

420neogeo

22 Apr 2018, 04:03

How do I determine which version of board I have?

If I buy one of these packapunch scart cables and then a scart to hdmi converter will that work?

Todd
Admin

22 Apr 2018, 05:26

When did you receive it?

If it was the original batch in January, it's a Rev 1. Otherwise it's a Rev 2.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

GadgetUK164

22 Apr 2018, 11:17

420neogeo wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 00:42
My hdretrovision cable was delivered to my office and since it’s 420 today, I decided to take the afternoon off so that I could finally play my sd3. To my dismay, the hdretrovision cable did not work, made the colours have a weird old school apple computer tint, and the major sound issue is still present. I made a quick video of the symptoms and any help/input would be greatly appreciated. It’s basically the same issues that the cheap Chinese genesis 2 cables have but with the additional issue of the colour being strangly tinted. None of my TVs have a scart input so that’s not an option. https://youtu.be/3TfyoZsDqmc
You are missing blue!!! Check the connection between the SSDS3 and the TG16 - inspect the pins at the back of the TG16. Also inspect the pins on the MDII connector, you may have a bent pin.

420neogeo

22 Apr 2018, 22:49

Today I decided to pop over to a local game store to see if their turbografx 16 console would have the same issue that mine does with the sd3. I read everyone’s posts about my pins being bent and when I checked this morning, you were right; one of my pins was bent and after carefully bending it back into place, my colour tint issue was fixed. After testing my sd3 on an alternate turbografx I can confirm that the sd3 still presents the same sound issue. It’s as though I can only get sound out of one channel. I recorded a second video of it happening on the store’s turbografx system which can be found below. I also want to mention that we checked the pins at the back to make sure that none were bent before and after shooting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45H...ature=youtu.be

GadgetUK164

22 Apr 2018, 23:31

Glad you sorted your blue problem out! That video doesn't play? Regards sound on one side, I do know that the cheaper cables (typically chinese composite ones) output sound on one side only, since they wired one side of the audio to the 'mono' pin on the MKII DIN. No idea what "Retrobit" cables are like - assumed they are OK quality, but maybe the cable is the issue now?

420neogeo

22 Apr 2018, 23:55

I didn't make either video I posted using a retrobit or Chinese knockoff cable. Both videos used the high quality HDretrovision cable. There are people over on neo-geo.com confirming that HDretrovision cables work well with the SD3 and a turbografx. I think at this point, it's pretty clear that my sd3 is the culprit.
Last edited by 420neogeo on 22 Apr 2018, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Syn

22 Apr 2018, 23:56

I tried the hdretrovision directly on my Samsung led and had audio buzz.

On my CRT, worked fine as expected.

At this point, is there a Goodwill near you? My 27" crt with all the inputs was $7.50. It's probably the cheapest option if you have the space.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”