Todd
Admin

Avoid: Retrobit A/V video cable for Genesis II/Megadrive II

13 Apr 2018, 04:56

If you are looking for a simple composite and stereo audio cable for your SSDS3, avoid the Retrobit cable. These cables have the stereo audio wired incorrectly.

I picked one of these up a while back and buzzed out the pins.

Left audio (white connector) is wired to the right audio pin in the din connector and Right audio is tied to the mono audio pin (pin 6). And since the SSDS3 doesn't use the mono audio pin, you don't get any audio from the red/right channel audio of the Retrobit cable.

So if you plug the Retrobit cable into a regular Genesis II/MD II and wonder why it works there...it isn't actually giving you stereo audio.

So, avoid.

However the original Sega Genesis II cables have been confirmed working by someone who recently reached out to me about the non working Retrobit cables.
Attachments
retrobit.jpg
retrobit.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

zabun

Re: Avoid: Retrobit A/V video cable for Genesis II/Megadrive II

14 Apr 2018, 02:55

I had bought a cable by RTX Direct JP from amazon.co.jp (no longer available there) which looks like those Retorbit cables and I can confirm it also had this problem. If anyone has a recommendation for composite cables that are wired correctly, it would be great.

GadgetUK164

14 Apr 2018, 17:18

A lot of the cheap composite cables from eBay have that problem too. They wired one connection correctly (to left or right - I forget which), and the other pin connects to the 'mono' audio pin on the socket (which is not used). You can add a wire under the socket to join up the mono pin to the side where your cable is missing sound. Obviously would void your warranty, but I wanted to point this out.

420neogeo

15 Apr 2018, 01:19

Where are we actually supposed to go and buy a working cable? it appears that all the genesis 2 cables I'm seeing on ebay are cheap Chinese knockoffs that don't have sound. The genesis 2 RF cable doesn't work. I have gone to every retro game shop in my city and everybody has the retrogen/retrobit brand crap. I really don't want to spend $100.00 on a cable. What are my options here? Can any body confirm a place online that I can actually buy a cable that works with this thing? I can't believe how annoying this thing is to find a working cable for; I just want to play it.

dl1955

15 Apr 2018, 04:01

Hey guys,

That person would be me about contacting Todd about my audio issues and then purchasing a OEM authentic Genesis 2 AV cable from Amazon. Works like a champ!

Too bad the 3rd party cables are crap.

Thanks again Todd for your help. :)

420neogeo

15 Apr 2018, 04:50

Is this what I want to buy? It just looks exactly the same as the retrogen cable that doesn't work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Composite-Cable-G ... able&psc=1

dl1955

15 Apr 2018, 06:21

Unfortunately the company I bought it from doesn't have stock anymore. I'm looking for a backup myself also.

I wouldn't purchase that cable as it looks like a retrobit type..
420neogeo wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 04:50
Is this what I want to buy? It just looks exactly the same as the retrogen cable that doesn't work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Composite-Cable-G ... able&psc=1

420neogeo

15 Apr 2018, 07:18

Could someone please provide me with a link to a cable for sale online that is guaranteed to work with my SD3? To think I've been waiting 20 years to finally get to play duo games.

jimjans

16 Apr 2018, 17:17

420neogeo wrote:
Could someone please provide me with a link to a cable for sale online that is guaranteed to work with my SD3? To think I've been waiting 20 years to finally get to play duo games.
Buy a packapunch cable https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... packapunch

RevQuixo

16 Apr 2018, 17:47

jimjans wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 17:17
420neogeo wrote:
Buy a packapunch cable https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... packapunch
It doesn't sound like this guy is looking for scart..he is looking for composite.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”