Mobiusstriptech

Re: Reboots and glitches on PCE roms (game tested Pc Genjin)

25 Apr 2018, 02:05

archimage wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:17
It's a Rev1, I didn't test too much hucard games except soldier blade and pc genjin 1, but the only games I have tested give me these glitches between 10-30 minutes, I thought it was my console, but after testing 4 consoles, many sd cards, cleaning every contact I just gave up trying to fix it.

The rom came from smokemonster pack, japanese version of the game, however I don't have any bug on everdrive hardware, so I guess the rom is fine.

I have just tested castlevania on super cd rom I could finish 2 levels without any hicup, didn't try to go further but I'm going to play it this week end.

I am really surprised no one reported this before, everything was focused on RGB issues which is the most visible problem, but these bugs definetely make it unplayable, so it's worth trying to understand where it comes from.
I reported that stuff on the rev1. Yours probably has the same issues as mine. It makes the rev1 literally unplayable.

Kidpanda

25 Apr 2018, 03:07

I've let several games run on demo today for a couple of hours and had no issue. Might be the unit itself.
Yea sure, no.

archimage

25 Apr 2018, 04:00

100% sure it's not the console, I have 4 units there and tried 4 of them, same behaviour. Same goes for psu, sd card, format.

I have combined every hardware possibility.

So my guess is safe when I say there's something wrong with this specific SSD3 unit, not the PCE unit right ?

We are two there to have same specific problem. I think it needs to be examinated asap by Terraonion, in order to avoid this kind of problems in the future if it's a bad solder or whatever it is.

If it's true that there's a production flaw specific to some units, and it happened to 2 persons, the exact cause needs to be determined.

It's to prevent this to happen again and again on other revisions.

Mobiusstriptech

25 Apr 2018, 22:14

The issue was specific to rev1 only. It was corrected for rev2. If TerraOnion wants to disclose what the issue was that's up to them. It's definitely the device though.

archimage

25 Apr 2018, 23:48

Thanks, If it's corrected it's fine, then it's identified as a conception problem.

I didn't read about it and I wasn't aware that was an issue present in every Rev1, in our mail discussions I didn't have this information. My hardware was pointed so I have bought many pc engines specifically to troubleshoot this issue.

I sent pictures but I didn't have a feedback for the correction.

I was still thinking until now it was specific to my hardware,

The forum is essential for this kind of discussions.

I hope we'll get a replacement soon and get out of this storm and play games.

Mobiusstriptech

26 Apr 2018, 04:21

It wasn't a widespread problem in rev1. My rev1 board has the same issues and apparently yours does as well. Hopefully the board replacement program begins soon.

archimage

26 Apr 2018, 12:27

That's odd a problem present on a small amount of boards with same revision 1 ?

I still don't understand the cause of the problem neither the solution. What causes that a small portion of Rev1 have this issue ? The only information I have is it's solved with Rev2. It will get replaced even if the wait is long but it's already a good thing.

If all Rev1 boards are not equal even when they have the same pcbs it's a good thing to know why because the same reason could lead to Rev2 boards to have differences after being produced.

I think it would be nice to have clarification on the reason why boards behave differently.

Mobiusstriptech

26 Apr 2018, 18:33

It's not an issue on the rev2 because changes were made to the manufacting process to prevent them. The only reason I am not stating what the issue was is because I don't want to have anything else blamed on me when all of a sudden other owners state they are having the issue and it must be because of the issue I found.

It was an issue, it was addressed before the rev2 boards were made. I am sorry that you also have the issue apparently. It's up to TerraOnion if they want to talk about what the issue was.

archimage

26 Apr 2018, 18:49

Thanks for the output.

I hope this will not happen again for everyone.

Milsancho

02 May 2018, 22:38

Hello,

I'm having the same kind of issues with cart games, though I haven't really tested CD games that much for now. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I have a v. 2 device, given the date I got it (order ref. RPVYWYMQM).

Specifically, I've found game freezes (which force me to reset the system) on PC Genjin, Makyou Densetsu, Download, Kick Ball, Dragon Saber, Genpei Toumaden and Wonder Momo. The later three (Namco) games, just need to be left in demo mode for it to happen after some minutes (usually less than 30), but the others, I can't consistently reproduce them and indeed it's not the usual behaviour. I'm sure it happens in other games too since I've only tested a small part of the system's library. The roms I'm using don't have this issue with emulators, and the console is supposedly in good condition (PCE white). The in-game trigger is disabled. Super Darius (CD game) also freezes when you leave it in demo mode.

Is my v. 2 the only one suffering from this?

Thank you.

Edit: Pics.

Image Image
Makyou Densetsu / Wonder Momo

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”