Mobiusstriptech

Re: Super SD System 3 Audio Buzzing

24 Apr 2018, 00:27

This is the best analogy I can think of.

Two people have buy the exact same make and model car from the same dealer, around the same time. Upon purchase the first person hears a rattle in the car and it's coming from the rear. The second person hears nothing. Does that invalidate the first persons concern? No of course not. However it also doesn't mean that the second persons experience is invalid or even that they don't have the same noise and have never noticed.

Maybe person 2 listens to their music really loud. Maybe person 2 just happened to buy a car that somehow doesn't have the same noise.

Either way neither experience is wrong and in the case of this device we know without a doubt there is something going on. At this point there isn't really any value from either side stating I have the noise or I don't have the noise. We know it's not related to your personal setup. All we can do is either investigate and post what our finding are or sit back, relax, and wait for the official response.

L-Digital

24 Apr 2018, 00:51

Is it a v2 only thing?

Syn

24 Apr 2018, 00:55

That's what I'm trying to say I can validate both sides with cables on led/crt combos.

Unless it buzzing from the SSS3 v2 housing. I turn down the sound and load CD/hu-card games, play, hear nothing.

There are hopefully fixable flaws that many have already been able to bypass.

donluca

24 Apr 2018, 10:54

About the audio buzz: this might be a very long shot as I don't have either the console nor the SSSD3 but I've been following the thread and *maybe* this could be an output impedance mismatch since some are not hearing the buzz on their system.

I don't know how the audio output works in the SSSD3, but the solution might be to increase or reduce the output impedance. Adding a resistor in series (or to ground) might do this, I don't have the schematic at hand.

Endprodukt

24 Apr 2018, 16:34

donluca wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 10:54
About the audio buzz: this might be a very long shot as I don't have either the console nor the SSSD3 but I've been following the thread and *maybe* this could be an output impedance mismatch since some are not hearing the buzz on their system.

I don't know how the audio output works in the SSSD3, but the solution might be to increase or reduce the output impedance. Adding a resistor in series (or to ground) might do this, I don't have the schematic at hand.
No because it is connected to SD-Card access. A mismatch would lead to a constant buzz.

I guess we'll have to wait.

samson7point1

24 Apr 2018, 17:16

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 00:27
At this point there isn't really any value from either side stating I have the noise or I don't have the noise.
Actually there is a lot of value if comparing the two experiences helps isolate the fault. Let's say for example that we confirm person A's unit has no sound issues, and person B's definitely have sound issues. If after comparing their console, cables, switches and method of amplification, we determine that person A's unit is definitely behaving as desired, and person B's is definitely behaving improperly, we can then re-examine quality control issues. It's possible that counterfeit parts may have inadvertently been introduced (as was the case with the NESRGB), or there may be some other issue illuminated by comparison.

Mobiusstriptech

24 Apr 2018, 17:25

Is it isolating the fault if we continue to look at external factors? We know that the culprit is within the device itself. So if you use the same cable as me and don't hear the issue, that doesn't mean the issue went away or isn't there. Like I said before, some people just won't notice it even if it was there and that's perfectly fine.

My point is that people keep going out and buying new cables or telling people to change their caps or whatever and until TerraOnion releases the fixes that they have found that are specific to the device, does it really help?

donluca

24 Apr 2018, 18:00

Endprodukt wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 16:34
No because it is connected to SD-Card access. A mismatch would lead to a constant buzz.

I guess we'll have to wait.
Correct, I somehow forgot that it's not constant, but only during SD card access. Ignore my previous message.

ratokcart

24 Apr 2018, 19:07

Pete2014 wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 12:12
ratokcart wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 10:44
The buzzer I reported is the noise that is heard synchronously with the timing to periodically access sd card to play cd audio.

Does that buzzing sound happen if you play Hucards? Apart from the usual PC Engine audio noise (which is present on all regular non modified consoles) I haven't heard any extra buzzing or noise. The only thing I noticed was the audio clipping, which is obvious if you listen to the Konami jingle and other familiar sounds.

Maybe because I'm not using the +5v line on my scart cable has a reason for that?
There is no CDDA in the Hugh card game, so you do not access the SD card during the game, so you can not hear the buzzer.

Also, with CDDA alone, you can not hear buzzer sound linked with access to SD card.
If only the L, R, GND of the AUDIO pin connected, the CDDA sound will be heard without noise.

From the above, I think that the sound of the buzzer related to the access of the SD card is influenced by csync and 5 v.

P.S)

In these tests, we check by using handmade cables that can be connected and disconnected on a pin-by-pin basis.

ratokcart

24 Apr 2018, 19:14

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 14:37
If you don't hook up the 5v line on your SCART cable then the blanking line won't be set to RGB mode. Many devices rely on the blanking line to switch between RGB and composite video mode. This is defined in the SCART standard.
I do not use the SCART standard, so 5v is not necessary.

Using RGB signal and csync or c video, handmade cable is created according to the monitor and TV to be connected.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”