mirswith

I broke my Super SD, is it possible to fix?

06 Jul 2020, 18:07

Yes, I am an idiot. I was doing a cap replacement on my TG16 and wanted to test everything before re-assembling the unit and I accidentally plugged my Super SD in shifted by one column of pins to the left or right, not sure which. The Super SD boots and more or less works as normal _except_ now its constantly scrolling the image. I tried updating the firmware to the latest since this is about the only thing I can try - needless to say it did not work. I also inspected the board for any burnt components but everything looks and smells as it should. I'm hoping the Terraonion team might be able to suggest some options.

One last thought, I tried the Super SD on another TG16 to rule out my cap replacement job but I get the same results.

Thanks.

Mobiusstriptech

Re: I broke my Super SD, is it possible to fix?

06 Jul 2020, 19:40

Most likely you killed the video circuit. Assuming the damage is limited to only the analog video circuit on the SSDS3, you can probably replace the THS7374 and get it up and running.

mirswith

07 Jul 2020, 00:18

Thanks for the info! I'll try replacing it and see what happens.

Mobiusstriptech

07 Jul 2020, 06:08

If you are not familiar with soldering a tssop14, then I would recommend sending it to someone who is. The last thing you want to do is short out the rest of the device.

mirswith

12 Jul 2020, 01:26

Thanks for the advice except I've been waiting for an excuse to buy a rework station and put it to use, good learning experience. It seemed to go OK but unfortunately it did not fix the issue. I've attached my work along with some video links to demonstrate what is happening.
Before/After Chip Replacment:

Here are the videos, you can see the menu vs. game (i only tried the one) scroll at different rates.

Menu Scroll:
https://youtu.be/RFvN0ZzAj9Q

Game Scroll:
https://youtu.be/ho7raf5XMFk

Anything else I could try/test?

Thanks!

mirswith

17 Jul 2020, 01:31

Does anyone know what chip is at U16? I'm tracing the lines to see which ones are most likely to have received some damage by shifting the connector by one pin and tracing the +5V down the video lines. Right now my running theory is that I put pin C21 (+5V) in pin C22 (composite sync) and this traces through a zero resistance resistor and then to the 5 pin chip on U16 with the label "WBST" on top.

If I can't sort this out (if all else fails) I am playing with the idea of bypassing the HS7374 and taking the lines straight out to the output connector - granted the video quality would be stock but that is still better than unusable. Any reason this would not work?

Thanks.

mirswith

17 Jul 2020, 21:21

Looking closer I think following line C23 is a red herring as that circuit mainly just goes out to the video out port and since I am using composite video that sync line is not used. As I trace the pins next to the power pins it looks like I probably shoved 10.5V onto pin A10 (Vertical Sync), checking the middle pin of component U11 this is grounded - should it be?

Anyone know what those two chips are, looks like one is marked C6B (thats the one with the vertical sync coming in) and next to it I believe is either LACS or just ACS; these things are tiny!!

In this picture it is the white line.

mirswith

17 Jul 2020, 22:39

From the best I can tell the C6B is a Texas Instruments SN74LVC1G66 in a SOT-323/DCK package - can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Mobiusstriptech

18 Jul 2020, 00:56

If you have a Rev A, why not just put a FU-RGB on it and call it a day?

Todd
Admin

18 Jul 2020, 01:57

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 00:56
If you have a Rev A, why not just put a FU-RGB on it and call it a day?
Agreed. That would be the better option in this case.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”