hastypete

A/V VIdeo Cable

02 Jul 2020, 03:15

Hello everyone. I'm glad to have found this forum. Thank you to all for participating.
My apologies if I'm asking a questions that has been covered. The search would not work with the keywords necessary and I only found what NOT to buy scouring through the first 7 pages of postings. I did my time looking for an answer, trust me.

OK I see in the forum that there are video cables that don't work. I now know this since I tried one from Amazon before finding this forum.
So I know what NOT to buy, but I can't for the life of me find a cable that I should buy.

I've been able to get it to work, but I used jumper wires from a breadboard soldered to a RCA A/V cable to interface to the TV. This is difficult since the A/V port does not have a ground pin - the shield is the ground which doesn't take a breadboard wire. I'm not really pleased with having a frankenstein connector coming out of the System 3 and especially that have a wedged pin to the shield to make it work.

But otherwise I have an expensive item I cannot really use. My understanding is the connector that was chosen for the A/V port is useful in SCART land due to the inclusion of R,G,B pins. I understand that, I just wish there were also just plain old RCA jacks for V/L/R

It looks spectacularly good on my LG 4K tv with the V/L/R connections so I don't need fancy S-Video or HDMI (I'm afraid the conversion would actually be a backward step in the end quality).

So my questions are:
1) Is there a cable out there that can be purchased for a reasonable price and is readily available? (I'm guessing "no" from my searching)
2) Should I add V/L/R RCA jacks to the back panel of the System 3 (soldering to the board under the A/V port pins)? (I'm worried about warranty etc.
3) I'm thinking of using a 3D printed jack to formalize the frankenstein setup I have.

I like #2 and #3, but #3 will be non-intrusive, it just won't look proper. #2 is the setup I have on my TurboDuo and there seems to be plenty of room on the back panel of the System 3. I could even 3D print my own back panel so as not to drill holes in the original.

I'd obviously prefer #1, an off the shelf answer.

Any thoughts (other than TLDR?)

- Peter

hastypete

Re: A/V VIdeo Cable

02 Jul 2020, 04:06

I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPPFT2R A reviewer says it will work with Genesis 2 but colors are wrong on the tail.

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HJKD1LS This plug looks correct so could be used to make a cable.

So I sort of answered my own question. I'm leaning towards the cable. I still like the idea of having RCA jacks on the back of the unit.

- Peter

Mobiusstriptech

02 Jul 2020, 04:44

Just buy an oem Sega stereo cable.

pixeljunkie

02 Jul 2020, 21:50

Why not RAD2X? That's what I use and it's amazing

Steven

03 Jul 2020, 07:49

RAD2X (which is somehow in stock) and HD Retrovision, if you have component input, are the best options available unless you want to use the OEM Genesis 2/MD2/32X cable and only have composite. I think HD Retrovision's newest batch of cables is supposed to ship soon or something.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”