Marbles

Can The Pound HDMI be used with the Super SD System 3?

02 Apr 2020, 05:17

Can The Pound HDMI be used with the Super SD System 3?

I've seen/heard people can use the Genesis RGB cord to get RGB out on the Super SD System 3, so I am wondering if it can also use the Genesis Pound HDMI cord which also used the RGB.

https://www.poundtechnology.com/genesis

Or should I wait for their TG16 cable?

Steven

Re: Can The Pound HDMI be used with the Super SD System 3?

03 Apr 2020, 15:35

Honest advice: you should do neither. Pound = trash. Use this instead

Marbles

05 Apr 2020, 08:51

Steven wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 15:35
Honest advice: you should do neither. Pound = trash. Use this instead

Thank you!

Yes, I've been using Pound for my PS2 and XBOX and had no issue, but this may be due to the systems already having component output.
Their cable works with my Dreamcast, but it doesn't work with my capture device.. for some reason it doesn't like 640x480 over hdmi.

Everything else I use my RetroTink Pro, which I absolutely love!
Was just hoping for a good solution that plugs directly into the system was all since composite/s-video to Tink does cause some (minor) bleed/quality issues.

I am guessing this is the same tech as plugging into the Retro Tink, and offer roughly the same output quality?

Steven

05 Apr 2020, 09:55

I've not used either this cable or the RetroTINK and can't say how well they compare, but Mike Chi did make both of these. The Genesis 2/Mega Drive 2 version of this cable DOES work with the SSDS3 and of course with your Genesis 2, Mega Drive 2, Nomad, or 32X if you have one of those. I imagine that if you have the HD Retrovision converter cables for the Genesis 2 cable, it would probably also work with the Saturn and Neo Geo as well, but I can't confirm as I don't have those systems or this cable. I do have the converters for the Genesis 2 cable for when I get around to buying those consoles, though.

I think the Genesis 2 RAD2X is currently out of stock, but worth waiting for if you want a simple solution.

The Pound cables display 240p as 480i, so you will get jittering on the vertical axis and improper rendering of some things. I had one once as a temporary solution while I waited for my OSSC to arrive. It didn't even work on my monitor. Tried it on my friend's TV and also his monitor. No signal. To be avoided, I think.

pixeljunkie

11 Apr 2020, 17:29

I have the RAD2X and love it - the pound/hyperkin cables wen in the trash. I bought both...they suck.

alucard1978

14 Jun 2020, 14:31

pixeljunkie wrote:
I have the RAD2X and love it - the pound/hyperkin cables wen in the trash. I bought both...they suck.
I'm using a Hyperkin HDMI cable and it performs great on my TV. I find the biggest issue with the cable is people use cheap cell phone chargers to power the upscaler box and they introduce line noise into the system. Mine is powered off my TV and, when I'm taking it out to play at friends homes, I use a Samsung Galaxy 9 charger. Both options have given me 0 issues.

pixeljunkie

26 Jun 2020, 20:27

alucard1978 wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 14:31
pixeljunkie wrote:
I'm using a Hyperkin HDMI cable and it performs great on my TV. I find the biggest issue with the cable is people use cheap cell phone chargers to power the upscaler box and they introduce line noise into the system. Mine is powered off my TV and, when I'm taking it out to play at friends homes, I use a Samsung Galaxy 9 charger. Both options have given me 0 issues.
My problem with the Hyperkin cable was the colors. They were WAY too blown out. Load up power golf 2 and look at the golf ball - it will be solid white, when in reality there are 3 or 4 layers of shading on it.

Credit 00

08 Jul 2020, 05:25

I tried the Hyperkin last night and it's fine for me, the difference between this and my scart setup is barely noticeable. I think I forgot that we can actually adjust the image on our TV's. I'll have to accept that I've spent too much in the past on retro gaming on modern tv solutions and am happy with this single cable. I mean results may vary, I have this running on a 55inch Samsung 4k tv. For me It's always Rainbow Islands as a test subject as the colors are out of this world. I was expecting bad results, On the other hand I can't wait to disconnect the multitude of expensive up-scalers.

Just got my SSS3, How brilliant is this unit?

Edit, Ok I need to Edit here. After a few days of using Hyperkin, You really need a good TV for this to be an option and by that I mean a TV with good Black Level control. Some games I've used the dynamic range on my TV, basically the dark games Like Rondo, Otherwise the reds will just go dark instead of changing shades and this can be a problem. I think allot of youtubers really just want to rubbish products for the sake of it, there is always better options but at what cost? The latest trend is Scart To Hdmi using cheap upscalers.

I am loving the SSDS3 for many reasons, as long as your setup doesn't detract your fun.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”