PCEngine model: TurboGrafx-16

Power Supply: Thin PS2 AC adapter with tip adapter

Video cable: Consolegoods RGB SCART cable

SD card brand: Sandisk

Region modded?: Yes, using the Game-Tech.us region board

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: Rev. 1

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu?: No

Any other details specific to your setup: Hisense 36" LCD with OSSC

Problem or Issue: For whatever reason, my SSD3 isn't booting correctly on my region modded TG-16 and consistently powers on to a scrambled splash screen. Occasionally it shows the menu but it too is scrambled and doesn't show what's on the SD card. My TG-16 was working fine with the SSD3 before adding a switch to my region mod (previously had it hardwired for PC Engine mode), and I've also reflowed all the solder joints on the expansion port just in case. It's not a fault with my SSD3 as it works fine with my Core Grafx II.

The region mod in my TG-16 also works fine with real HuCards and my v1.1 Turbo Everdrive. Playing a HuCard with the SSD3 still in place also works fine.

arromdee

Re: SSD3 not booting correctly on region modded TG-16

14 Jul 2020, 18:37

This sounds awfully similar to my problem with the SSDS3 not working with a Japan/US cart adaptor, which really should be pretty much the same thing as the internal region mod except that it's not actually internal. Again, it works perfectly fine with a US cart and the cart adaptor works fine without the SSDS3.

Todd
Admin

14 Jul 2020, 19:00

Sounds like these region mods are screwing up the expansion bus something.

I wonder if you attach a real CD rom to them if they will behave the same way.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

arromdee

14 Jul 2020, 19:42

The external PCE/TG-16 converter works fine with a real CD-ROM attached.

ApolloBoy

17 Jul 2020, 08:02

Update, I disconnected the switch and hardwired the region board just to see if perhaps the wires going to the switch were causing interference in some way. Same result, still get a scrambled splash screen. I wonder if perhaps this can be addressed in a firmware update?

EDIT: Do the later revisions of the SSD3 play nice with region mods? I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that mine is an early revision might have something to do with it.

arromdee

18 Jul 2020, 20:05

The external region converter that I am also having trouble with is on a SSDS3 that is a later revision.

capereon

03 Sep 2020, 03:39

It seems I'm running into the same issue. Setup is basically identical and symptoms also match exactly.

PCEngine model: TurboGrafx-16

Power Supply: Triad 9V 3A tip neg

Video cable: retro-access Gen2 SCART, also tried with DIY Gen2 SCART (internal components/wiring are identically configured).

SD card brand: Sandisk

Region modded?: Yes, using the Game-Tech.us region board

SSDS3 revision 1, 2 or B?: Rev. 1 (purchased at initial release)

In Game Trigger enabled in the Options menu?: No

Any other details specific to your setup: HuCards boot and play properly, in either region, with the SSDS3

The SSDS3 works properly in both a region-modded SuperGrafx and region-modded CoreGrafx, even when switched to NA region.

When installed in the TG16, the SSDS3 title screen is corrupt and when the file browser appears, the graphics are always scrambled in some way. I have no issues with a V1.2 Turbo-Everdrive in the TG16.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm happy to make changes to the console if needed. Thanks!

EDIT: Decided to try Todd's suggestion - while I don't have a Turbografx-CD, I do have a JP Super CDROM2. It turns out the SCD2 will connect and boot with the TG16 shell removed. I did not try a game, but the initial CDROM System Card booted without any graphical glitches.

It would be helpful to find out if there are any non-region-modded TG16 units with a Rev 1 SSDS3 that have the graphical issue.

BringerOdeath

16 Sep 2020, 09:32

I had some strange issues with my modded supergrafx, where some games would just reset sometimes and sometimes there were glitches. I fixed it by running the 5v source for the region mod board directly from the 5v on the regulator leg. Try that out. I think it's a power draw issue as the ssds3 pulls power from the system and super cdrom2 and pc engine briefcase have a more powerful adapter to run everything.

dshadoff

16 Sep 2020, 18:37

This is a good point; the power supply can be affected in areas without being affected in others (i.e. it's not binary "working" or "not working").
Likewise, a higher net power draw will bring a system closer to the edge where it could potentially exhibit issues, and those issues may not be related to the subsystem you expect.

arromdee

16 Sep 2020, 22:35

I've been having trouble with a region board, which is an old clone green board that works fine without the SSDS3 connected. It doesn't even have a power connection and I'm not convinced it uses any power.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”