FBBTJ

SSDS3 with PC Engine LT

17 Apr 2019, 10:14

Hello,

Do you plan, if technically possible, to make the SSDS3 compatible with the PC Engine LT ?
Currently, you can connect the SSDS3 to a PC Engine LT and the Hucard games and CD-ROM work on it, but we do not have the "CD-ROM audio" part like the music. Just the sound effects using, I think, the audio circuit of the console itself.

Do you think it is technically possible to correct this to have the "CD quality" audio directly on the console like when the LT is connected to a Super CD-ROM² ?

Do you plan to make this change ?

Thank you ;-)

mu0905

Re: SSDS3 with PC Engine LT

18 Apr 2019, 04:28

Maybe impossible.
It seemed that SSDS3 doesn't use Sound-IN (monaural) at the left of middle-row, and it's difficult get only the CD audio from SSDS3.

neodev

18 Apr 2019, 15:54

There is actually a way to feed mono audio back to the console, although it's undocumented and unsupported, as it requires a bit of simple soldering.
At the bottom right part of the circuit, close to the expansion connector, there is an unpopulated component named P1, that is just 2 holes. If you bridge both holes together with a wire, one of the 2 channels will be sent back to the console, and audio will play through the internal circuits and output.

FBBTJ

19 Apr 2019, 14:49

Thanks a lot for this answer. You're great !

It only works for one of the two stereo channels, right ? We can not retransform easily the stereo signal into a mono signal before returning it to the internal circuit and the output ?

Sorry if what I say is stupid, but I do not know much about it.

neodev

20 Apr 2019, 07:50

Yes, it isn't a mono mix, just one channel is sent back. Although mono mix could be done on firmware if needed.

FBBTJ

24 Apr 2019, 12:18

If you can add this option to the firmware, it will be perfect, if we just have to do the small soldering after that.

It's really not a priority, of course, but I would love to see the SSDS3 work completely with the LT. It would be wonderful :-)

Thank you again for this wonderful SSDS3 and for answering me.

Steven

03 Dec 2019, 09:04

I hate to reply in this old thread, but did this ever get implemented? I'm pretty interested in getting a PC Engine LT if I can find a cheap one and even mono CD audio would be great. Too bad you won't get stereo out of the headphone jack that way, but I imagine you probably don't get much stereo separation with that tiny speaker it has, so that's better than nothing.

Return to “Super SD System 3 General Discussion”