Newland

Re: New Board Revision with FBX & FU-RGB Fixes?

11 Feb 2019, 03:47

It's just a bunch of words of no value to me. I don't want to hear about the life of the manufacturer of any other product I buy.. has Voultar got the Neo Pro he asked for all the unpaid work he did?

Didn't think so.. just words.

Todd
Admin

11 Feb 2019, 04:13

Newland wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 03:47
It's just a bunch of words of no value to me. I don't want to hear about the life of the manufacturer of any other product I buy.. has Voultar got the Neo Pro he asked for all the unpaid work he did?

Didn't think so.. just words.
He received his NeoSD months ago. November actually.

Gummy Bear

11 Feb 2019, 10:19

Thanks for the info, Todd.

toadhall

12 Feb 2019, 11:32

Hey Todd, I really appreciate the update! While others may react in hostility I find that that kind of update post goes a long way in helping potential customers like me make a decision in whether to buy a product or not. In my case, I’m leaning towards purchasing. Thanks a lot!

Edit: just read through the latest posts on shmups. Really appreciate Alex’s updates there as well. But man, what a shitshow. It’s too bad bridges were burned in the lead up to this but at least there were some lessons learned along the way. Can’t wait to hear what those new projects that Alex teased are!

ginoscope

12 Feb 2019, 14:41

I just recently picked up a SSDS3 and I been very happy with it. I own the NeoSD on the AES and was very happy with that product. I also waited until recently to pick up the SSDS3 because of all the talk. I am glad I did because it is great. I am a long time turbo collector so having it all in one package is amazing. The unlimited saves is a god send as this was a very annoying part of playing on the turbografx. Using the tennokoe bank hucard to transfer saves was always cumbersome. Not to mention some games take up the entire memory of the original cd systems.

I did notice some rgb noise as opposed to my rgb modded Turbo Duo on my 20" PVM. I installed the RGB and Audio bypass and now this devices is perfect for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Thanks for the update Todd and I'm looking forward to the new products.

Todd
Admin

12 Feb 2019, 16:13

I am glad to hear you guys are understanding of the position we were in.

However, everything is a learning experience and we are treating the SSDS3 as just that.

Big things ahead starting in just a couple weeks!

cybercylon

12 Feb 2019, 17:05

On the one hand, I am glad that people will get a fixed product in the future. I guess this product will be board revision 4. That said, there could be third parties that still have stocks of the version 3 (or even 2 I guess) that they are still selling. Not everyone frequents forums, so they may not be aware of the board with the fixes is on the way.

Though I don't seem to have the audio issues, It would be nice to have the RGB video cleaned up. The problem is that I don't have the skills, and who knows if Mobius has the boards anymore. Either way, it voids the warranty on a product that was supposed to have been fixed back in July 2018 (according to Terra Onion's tweets).

While I realize that I am owed nothing, I don't see this as the same as when Krikzz introduces a newer Everdrive with new features. This is what it is... a fix for a feature that is already there.

One question that I do have is how much does a Framemeister or OSSD contribute to the issues? A common response is to blame one of these products, yet based on what people post, the RGB noise can still be seen on a PVM, though to a much lesser extent. If either upscaler was to blame for the audio, I would expect even more complaining. My guess is that cheap unshielded RGB cables seem to contribute more to that issue. I'd like to know a little more about this factor, and if it is a misconception that upscalers contribute to the RGB noise and any audio issues one might experience. Is it fair for a reseller to charge a restocking fee when it is the Super SD System 3 that has the issue?

So I guess we shall see how well these two fixes will work once they are out in the wild. If it resolves the RGB issue even with upscalers, then I can decide to either live with what I have or try to sell the revision 3 unit and pick up the new revision.

cybercylon

12 Feb 2019, 17:25

I left out something from my last post regarding whether or not upscalers such as the framemeister or OSSC contribute to the issues.

If play a hucard game or a game from a TurboEverdrive, the RGB signal from the revision 3 Super SD System 3 is definitely better.

Said game will have the noise issue when played from the SD card in the System 3 (appears as those diagonal lines of noise that people report).

One possible interpretation is that if the upscaler is at fault, there would be problems regardless of where the game is played from.

Todd
Admin

12 Feb 2019, 17:27

Stone Age Gamer is the only official re-seller of Terraonion products, besides our own web store. So I don't know of anyone that would still be selling, as of today, old stock. Unless you are talking about a random ebayer.

As far as the audio and video stuff goes, the Framemeister actually hides some of the video noise due to how it processes the video. That's part of the reason why, after the first rev 1 boards were redone, it wasn't noticed. With an OSSC the video noise is much more noticeable.

Cheap unshielded cables are bad for every console and a PCE + SSDS3 is no exception.

cybercylon

12 Feb 2019, 18:14

I didn't want to call a vendor out, especially one that I have had a good experience with, but I got mine from Stone Age Gamer (back last Oct 2018).

I live close enough that I sometimes drive there.

When the new boards are in their hands, it will be interesting to see if the fixes make a difference. When first reported the noise to them, they were willing to let me bring in my setup to see if a different cable would help. Due to time constraints, I didn't at the time and probably already had the best cable I could get from here:

https://retro-access.com/collections/ve ... ccessories

Sorry if I sounded crabby with my first post.

Return to “Super SD System 3 General Discussion”