Happily223
BANNED

Super SD System 3 Audio Buzzing

13 Apr 2018, 21:28

EDITED by mods :

Audio Buzzing issue fixed, more details here :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=133&p=1481#p1481

Hello, do you know why there is constant audio buzzing whenever the CD portion is accessed (constantly throughout the game)?

Do you intend on fixing this problem? You say it is fixable with software update is this really the case?

I waited months to receive this and now the product is unusable.

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

Re: Super SD System 3 Audio Buzzing

13 Apr 2018, 21:40

Happily223 wrote:
Hello, do you know why there is constant audio buzzing whenever the CD portion is accessed (constantly throughout the game)?

Do you intend on fixing this problem? You say it is fixable with software update is this really the case?

unsuable, I hope you don´t expect to be taken seriously with such word.

I think we have to discus about forcing people to enter his order number before posting on the support forums, I an affraid about this being flooded with trolling.

EDIT : i see you have registered your account with a trash mail like account, pretty sad to see you have registered here just to start this party.

RevQuixo

13 Apr 2018, 21:54

Happily223 wrote:

Hey Happily223,

Smarter people than I are looking into the hardware (Todd, Voultar) and the software (Neodev) to figure out the best way to address this if possible.The reality is that it seems to be an issue that not everyone has (I can't hear any audio buzz from my SuperGrafx) so the diagnosis may take some time to figure out.

That being said, there aren't too many products like this on the market, so a little patience is probably warranted in figuring out a solution. In the meantime, what sort of cables are you using, what system are you using, are you using a replacement power supply, etc. There are a lot of variables here that need to be examined.

Kidpanda

13 Apr 2018, 21:57

Also due to the age of the system itself also creates problems as well. These systems were made in the mid 80's more as a toy than a piece of hifi. Heck, I can't imagine many JP users even had the system hooked up to anything besides the normal mono tele.
Yea sure, no.

RevQuixo

13 Apr 2018, 22:02

Kidpanda wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 21:57
Also due to the age of the system itself also creates problems as well. These systems were made in the mid 80's more as a toy than a piece of hifi. Heck, I can't imagine many JP users even had the system hooked up to anything besides the normal mono tele.
Yes..and also has the system ever been recapped? Audio Hum is not an unknown problem with even original PC Engine CD set-ups.

Dochartaigh

13 Apr 2018, 23:00

Gentleman, I joined this forum specifically to keep track of what fixes for the SSD3’s issues would be forthcoming (in due time with patience of course - there is no doubt in my mind about that at all - the TerraOnion people seem like their heart is really in this and have beyond a doubt proven themselves as being just good, honest, people with their good-faith recall of the first version of the SSD3).

BUT, I have to say that having the admin immediately jump on a new member for using the term “unusable” just isn’t cool. I agree that “unusable” might have been a more harsh term than could/should have been used. Maybe that user didn’t mean it to sound as harsh as it was taken. Maybe English is his/her second language. Maybe he’s just a jerk - who really knows. But in reality all of that really shouldn’t matter. The Admin (who I assume is one of the Terra Onion team) should be taking the high road and address the issue in a professional way. That, in my opinion, is simply how good companies operate. I know they probably feel like they’ve been taking a bunch of flack on the other forums, that they’re inundated and overwhelmed by the repetition of the same questions over and over again, the same (I guess “sore” is the best word to use) sore points rehashed over and over and over and over again. I feel for you guys. Honestly. That muss suck. But you should STILL be professional about it at all times - no matter how much it you have to grit your teeth, you still need to be professional as this is your life. Your livelihood. Your business. And it’s a business —which I know from the emotion (and anger, and anguish, and stress) I hear in your pretty personal posts I’ve seen from member(s) of your team— which I know you still love and cherish.

The second thing I wanted to say, is blaming things like this on the exact system itself, the exact cables, the capacitors, age of the unit, etc. etc. etc. simply isn’t going to cut it. Yes, in a particular case it could be that - certainly; without a doubt. But what you can’t tell me with a straight face is that all of these people who are having audio hum/hiss issues, that every single one of them has a bad console. A bad cable. Too-old capacitors (or any combination of those).

I know everybody who has posted so far has been following these topics on one or more forums. We have members who own like 3, 4, 5+ PCE or TG16 units of all different flavors/types. Own multiple cables from the same exact companies most of us use. We have people who have done complete recaps of their console(s) since getting the SSD3. They’ve ruled out every possible thing except for the SSD3 itself. So please, for the love of the video gaming gods, please just admit that the SSD3 has a problem with audio (it may still also have a problem with RGB output still as well for the record). The problem could be effect a very small number of people. It could certainly be their console(s), their cables, their stereo, etc., but saying every time that it’s these things and not addressing the more-likely fact that it’s the SSD3 itself, it simply wrong in my eyes.

And before anybody gives me a neo-geo-esque tough-love reply (which I really hope this manufacturers forum keeps a more civil tone) - please go onto Shmups, Neo Geo forums, Shmups, etc., and see if I’ve ever badmouthed anybody anywhere. Ever said a bad word about anybody. About any company. You won’t find a single thing. I just spent the hour+ writing this post because it saddens me to see crap like this rehashed on yet another forum. The product has some problems which still need to be worked out. I hope they will be fixed. But please don’t play the blame game, and please keep it civil.

Gara

13 Apr 2018, 23:07

I'm getting the same audio interference. On cdrom games you can hear the audio interference buzz along with every time it accesses data. With cd music that means it never stops.

It's certainly annoying. I probably wouldn't use the word unusable but it's definitely not something I want in my experience. Bad enough that I'd be willing to pay for a mod to separate audio. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

On TV speakers it's not as noticeable. Through my sound system it's clear as day. I've put the access light of the sssd3 attachment out of my line of sight in an attempt to not draw my attention to it.

Supergrafx with third party ac adapter. System has not been recapped. Retro access multicore cable.

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

13 Apr 2018, 23:14

Dochartaigh wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 23:00
Gentleman, I joined this forum specifically to keep track of what fixes for the SSD3’s issues would be forthcoming (in due time with patience of course - there is no doubt in my mind about that at all - the TerraOnion people seem like their heart is really in this and have beyond a doubt proven themselves as being just good, honest, people with their good-faith recall of the first version of the SSD3).

BUT, I have to say that having the admin immediately jump on a new member for using the term “unusable” just isn’t cool. I agree that “unusable” might have been a more harsh term than could/should have been used. Maybe that user didn’t mean it to sound as harsh as it was taken. Maybe English is his/her second language. Maybe he’s just a jerk - who really knows. But in reality all of that really shouldn’t matter. The Admin (who I assume is one of the Terra Onion team) should be taking the high road and address the issue in a professional way. That, in my opinion, is simply how good companies operate. I know they probably feel like they’ve been taking a bunch of flack on the other forums, that they’re inundated and overwhelmed by the repetition of the same questions over and over again, the same (I guess “sore” is the best word to use) sore points rehashed over and over and over and over again. I feel for you guys. Honestly. That muss suck. But you should STILL be professional about it at all times - no matter how much it you have to grit your teeth, you still need to be professional as this is your life. Your livelihood. Your business. And it’s a business —which I know from the emotion (and anger, and anguish, and stress) I hear in your pretty personal posts I’ve seen from member(s) of your team— which I know you still love and cherish.

The second thing I wanted to say, is blaming things like this on the exact system itself, the exact cables, the capacitors, age of the unit, etc. etc. etc. simply isn’t going to cut it. Yes, in a particular case it could be that - certainly; without a doubt. But what you can’t tell me with a straight face is that all of these people who are having audio hum/hiss issues, that every single one of them has a bad console. A bad cable. Too-old capacitors (or any combination of those).

I know everybody who has posted so far has been following these topics on one or more forums. We have members who own like 3, 4, 5+ PCE or TG16 units of all different flavors/types. Own multiple cables from the same exact companies most of us use. We have people who have done complete recaps of their console(s) since getting the SSD3. They’ve ruled out every possible thing except for the SSD3 itself. So please, for the love of the video gaming gods, please just admit that the SSD3 has a problem with audio (it may still also have a problem with RGB output still as well for the record). The problem could be effect a very small number of people. It could certainly be their console(s), their cables, their stereo, etc., but saying every time that it’s these things and not addressing the more-likely fact that it’s the SSD3 itself, it simply wrong in my eyes.

And before anybody gives me a neo-geo-esque tough-love reply (which I really hope this manufacturers forum keeps a more civil tone) - please go onto Shmups, Neo Geo forums, Shmups, etc., and see if I’ve ever badmouthed anybody anywhere. Ever said a bad word about anybody. About any company. You won’t find a single thing. I just spent the hour+ writing this post because it saddens me to see crap like this rehashed on yet another forum. The product has some problems which still need to be worked out. I hope they will be fixed. But please don’t play the blame game, and please keep it civil.
Other companies (i got EA, MS, SONY and so in mind while writing this) would not have the actual devs answering customers.

They have payed people (that we can´t afford cause we are a small company) that just would answer you : thanks for the coments, we will use your information to improve the product and will move to another thing.

We have good things and bad things, we are always compared wtih Amazon, MS, Sony and others on the things we do worst and there is always someone complaining about the quality of the audio and the video not being high end, on a console that is 20 years old, had its own issues when it was released and came with RF out.

We try to improve our products, instead of telling people that we will try to. At the end of the day, one has to decide if its worth to use Super SD Sytem 3, with its (big or small flaws, i let this for everyones taste), or keep using cds.

About my previous coment : its clear that Super SD System 3 is usable.
For a few people the audio buzz is an issue and we are working on that, for the rest is not.

Based on the shipped units and the emails we got about the audio buzzing, it looks like is not a big deal for the average user. I could tell you that so far no one sent an email about the audio buzzing (as far as i remember, i may be wrong), so coming here registering an account with a spam email and with a random name as he did, it looks totally like trolling to my eyes. Again, i may be wrong.

If he would have such issue that made his device unplayable, he would have sent us an email before today (the day we opened the forums). Not a big deal for him if he waited so long to make such claim ...

I hope you understand my point, it totally looks like a troll coment.

Again, we are not the average company, we should not be answering people here, just telling : thanks, we will take your coments to improve and bla bla bla.

terraonion_admin
Site Admin

13 Apr 2018, 23:19

Gara wrote:
I'm getting the same audio interference. On cdrom games you can hear the audio interference buzz along with every time it accesses data. With cd music that means it never stops.

It's certainly annoying. I probably wouldn't use the word unusable but it's definitely not something I want in my experience. Bad enough that I'd be willing to pay for a mod to separate audio. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

On TV speakers it's not as noticeable. Through my sound system it's clear as day. I've put the access light of the sssd3 attachment out of my line of sight in an attempt to not draw my attention to it.

Supergrafx with third party ac adapter. System has not been recapped. Retro access multicore cable.
Its pretty clear that we never thought about people plugging such systems to av receivers and looking for a high end solution, this never was our aproach.

Video output was designed as an extra on SD System 3. We never tried to make a RGB device with Optical Disc Emulation, but an Optical Disc Emulator with RGB output.

That being said, we are trying to improve the experience as much as possible, but we don´t have plans to make any hardware improvements to please such users demanding high end audio and video.

Gara

13 Apr 2018, 23:48

terraonion_admin wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 23:19
Gara wrote:

Its pretty clear that we never thought about people plugging such systems to av receivers and looking for a high end solution, this never was our aproach.

Video output was designed as an extra on SD System 3. We never tried to make a RGB device with Optical Disc Emulation, but an Optical Disc Emulator with RGB output.

That being said, we are trying to improve the experience as much as possible, but we don´t have plans to make any hardware improvements to please such users demanding high end audio and video.
You guys don't don't seem to like anyone using a setup above the built in audio of a TV so I made sure to mention its also noticeable on the low end. Was the video and audio being a tacked on extra something mentioned in early advertising? You keep bringing this up as a bonus feature like we (the customers) agreed to some disclaimer about the buggy nature of the implementation. This being an all in one solution that made the cheap systems like the core grafx seem attractive was a big selling point for me personally.

My entry level system just let's me hear the flaw easier. I'm barely above the people using a soundbar.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Tech Support”