josh00

Video sync problems

15 Dec 2019, 21:55

Hello,

I am running into video problems with my recently ordered SSDS3. In particular, the video smoothly scrolls vertically, and never stops. After searching the forums I found this thread reporting the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49

My experience is identical to the videos posted by the other poster in that thread. The same vertical scrolling occurs when using a HuCard game plugged into the slot (with the SSDS3 still attached, video running through it). Interestingly some games exhibit more or less severe scrolling. CD games in particular seem to scroll much faster, while some HuCard games (particularly JJ & Jeff) do not scroll smoothly, but instead the vertical alignment jumps around sporadically and is sometimes stable. When the SSDS3 is not attached, the TG-16 works fine (through RF/coax) with no video problems.

No resolution to the problem was noted in the prior thread, so I would like to inquire as to whether a fix was found for this, and whether it is known to be a problem with the cable, PCE unit, SSDS3, etc.

Here is my setup and some additional info:

System: original black US TG-16, unmodded
Power supply: 3rd party, 9v 850mA
Video cable: generic Genesis 2 RCA cable from Amazon, branded Wiresmith; it is probably identical to the Retrobit cable
SD card: Samsung (but same issue arises with SD card unplugged)
SSDS3: revision B, brand new from Black Friday sale
IGT enabled: no
TV: late model CRT, I've tried it with the video fed directly into the TV's RCA in, as well as passing through a switcher box, same issues either way

Additionally: from a visit to my FLGS I know that 1) my video cable works fine on a Genesis, and 2) a retrobit cable causes the same issues on my system. Unfortunately they did not have another PCE to test the SSDS3 on. A post in the previous thread indicated that using an Old Skool cable did not fix the problem, but I have not tried this personally. I also do not have the SCART/RGB cable to test that. I have also removed and reseated the SSDS3 several times and am consistently getting the same problem, so I do not think it is a problem with the connection to the expansion port pins.

I know from reading other posts on the forum that there are some weak links in my setup, however before spending more money on new components to diagnose the problem I would like to ask if the other poster's problem was resolved, and if you guys can narrow down exactly what components I should replace. Thanks.

josh00

Re: Video sync problems

10 Jan 2020, 21:01

Hello again,

Since making this original post I have tried a few troubleshooting things that have not fixed the problem. In particular, I've tried:

1) A different AV cable (the Old Skool Genesis 2 cable which others have reported to work fine)
2) An OEM power supply
3) Cleaning the expansion port pins with Deoxit

I am still encountering the same video scrolling/sync issues. So now what? I am getting very frustrated with trying to get this thing to work properly.

Todd
Admin

11 Jan 2020, 04:08

Can you post a video of the issue?

Also, can you double check all of the pins to make sure they are not bent?

Finally, do you have access to another machine to test with?

Each unit is tested prior to shipping and something like this would have been caught during that process. Not to say something couldn’t have happened after the fact.
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

Mobiusstriptech

11 Jan 2020, 06:30

If you use the RF out from the console while the ssds3 is attached, does it scroll constantly? You mentioned that it works fine from RF without the SSDS3 attached.

josh00

15 Jan 2020, 02:25

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Here is a video of the problem, and answers to your questions. Don't mind the black space on the right, I captured this in OBS and it does not let me set the aspect ratio, so that's just empty scene.

I recorded a few different games, because the video behavior in-game is weird and inconsistent, and I think it's worth discussion. You'll see it boot up and the scrolling occur in the system menu. I loaded up Coryoon (timestamp about 1:17), which shows the same scrolling behavior within a game. This is the most typical pattern when I open up a random game. Some however work differently. JJ and Jeff (0:16) is relatively stable and doesn't scroll, but it still isn't synced correctly vertically and will 'hop' sporadically. Legendary Axe (0:49) scrolls bottom to top instead of top to bottom. CD games such as the 4-in-1 (1:50) scroll much faster than card games. I haven't found a CD game yet that behaves differently.

In addition:

Do I have another system to test on? Unfortunately no. I'd love to but my retro game store in town doesn't have one in stock and I don't know anyone nearby to borrow from.

Any bent pins? Not that I can tell. As I mentioned I've cleaned the pins and reseated the device a number of times, and looked carefully at the pins a bunch, with really consistent results. I'm pretty sure the pins are making contact. It's certainly possible I have a dead pin or something like that. But I'll note that the previous poster with the same issue tried his device on both a Coregrafx and Turbo16 (see page 2, second to last post) and had the same problem on both, so I doubt that it's my unit. But I can't rule it out.

Does the scrolling occur with RF with the SSDS3 plugged in? I hadn't tried this, but YES it does. In addition, it occurs with a HuCard or Everdrive plugged in to the card slot. One slight difference is that both of these methods seem to eliminate the 'hop'. For example JJ and Jeff will run with no scrolling (though the vertical position is stuck wherever it randomly lands when loading).

Hope any of that is helpful. The inconsistency with how it scrolls from game to game is the weirdest thing that stands out to me, and is what makes me suspect the SSDS3 unit itself rather than something like RF interference. But I am really just guessing. Any additional thoughts are definitely appreciated!

Todd
Admin

15 Jan 2020, 19:38

Did you pick this up from us or Stone Ager Gamer?
My PMs are disabled. Please send support requests to support(at)terraonion.com.

For real time assistance, please consider joining our very active Discord server: https://discord.gg/JexuJVW

josh00

15 Jan 2020, 19:55

It was ordered directly from you guys, during the Black Friday sale.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”