I am running into video problems with my recently ordered SSDS3. In particular, the video smoothly scrolls vertically, and never stops. After searching the forums I found this thread reporting the same issue:
My experience is identical to the videos posted by the other poster in that thread. The same vertical scrolling occurs when using a HuCard game plugged into the slot (with the SSDS3 still attached, video running through it). Interestingly some games exhibit more or less severe scrolling. CD games in particular seem to scroll much faster, while some HuCard games (particularly JJ & Jeff) do not scroll smoothly, but instead the vertical alignment jumps around sporadically and is sometimes stable. When the SSDS3 is not attached, the TG-16 works fine (through RF/coax) with no video problems.
No resolution to the problem was noted in the prior thread, so I would like to inquire as to whether a fix was found for this, and whether it is known to be a problem with the cable, PCE unit, SSDS3, etc.
Here is my setup and some additional info:
System: original black US TG-16, unmodded
Power supply: 3rd party, 9v 850mA
Video cable: generic Genesis 2 RCA cable from Amazon, branded Wiresmith; it is probably identical to the Retrobit cable
SD card: Samsung (but same issue arises with SD card unplugged)
SSDS3: revision B, brand new from Black Friday sale
IGT enabled: no
TV: late model CRT, I've tried it with the video fed directly into the TV's RCA in, as well as passing through a switcher box, same issues either way
Additionally: from a visit to my FLGS I know that 1) my video cable works fine on a Genesis, and 2) a retrobit cable causes the same issues on my system. Unfortunately they did not have another PCE to test the SSDS3 on. A post in the previous thread indicated that using an Old Skool cable did not fix the problem, but I have not tried this personally. I also do not have the SCART/RGB cable to test that. I have also removed and reseated the SSDS3 several times and am consistently getting the same problem, so I do not think it is a problem with the connection to the expansion port pins.
I know from reading other posts on the forum that there are some weak links in my setup, however before spending more money on new components to diagnose the problem I would like to ask if the other poster's problem was resolved, and if you guys can narrow down exactly what components I should replace. Thanks.