Mobiusstriptech

Re: Excessive visual noise using RGB and Framemeister

11 Jan 2020, 06:20

From what I see in the picture you shared, it looks like the ADC. One thing you can do is manually adjust the A/D level on the framemeister. I'd bet that you will find the noise moves around and might even change.

Another note, the power supply you are using is likely not going to help matters. The original supplies on the TG16 have started to encounter issues. They have a 3300uf filtering cap inside them that is known to leak or dry out. I'd highly recommend seeking out a new power supply. It may or may not affect your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Another question, does your TG16 still have both of the internal RF shields? We have seen noise issues on TG16 specifically if one or both shields are gone.

mightyqdawg

13 Jan 2020, 19:08

Regarding Framemeister ADC: thanks for the advice, I'll try adjusting the levels to see what happens.

Regarding power supply: I have what I believe are the original power supplies. When you say "new", I presume you mean newly manufactured and not "new to me". If you mean the former, I'll look into it. On this topic, do you happen to know if the TurboGrafx CD power supply can be safely used with a TG-16? I don't remember for sure, but I believe the voltage rating was different (higher) on the TG-CD adapter. (Not concerned about amperage rating.)

Regarding RF shields: I do not know if both internal RF shields are in place, but I will check that, too.

Thank you.

--
Eric

Mobiusstriptech

14 Jan 2020, 03:49

The CD Dock power supply is a different barrel size. I don't believe it will fit but I may have that backwards.

When I said new I did mean a newly manufactured supply. The popular ones currently are the Triad supplies. You can basically buy those off the shelf and they have low ripple and noise. I've seen enough of the original TG16 supplies go bad due to that cap, that it's just not worth it anymore to even bother, in my opinion. I generally don't even recommend replacing the cap since you have to cut the supply open and then glue it back together. It wasn't a great power supply in the first place. Versus say a Genesis/MegaDrive model 1 or CD supply. Those were excellent.

mightyqdawg

16 Jan 2020, 00:39

Thanks for the tip about the Triad power supplies. I did a little research and it sounds like these are highly recommended and available for a number of consoles. I'll have to see about getting one (or some).

I have now done some tests with the ADC levels on the Framemeister and, just as both Mobiusstriptech and cybercylon suggested, the ADC was a source of some of the noise. Adjusting the ADC levels (lower to mid-90s from around 128) does indeed reduce the visual noise in the SSDS3 menu to barely perceptible levels. (This was the noise shown in the screen shot I provided.) However, the ADC level adjustment does nothing to address the particularly bad noise I'm seeing during Dracula X cut-scenes (this should be visible in the videos I provided on the Google Drive). Since the noise pattern here is different (diagonal and scrolling) from the noise in the SSDS3 menu (and unaffected by the ADC levels), I would guess the root of that noise problem is something else. I intend to test with a Sandisk (recommended brand) micro SD card. (I can't help but shake the suspicion that SD card activity may somehow be involved after all, since the noise pattern changes with the game and seems particularly bad with CD games which (based on the blinking activity light) have heavier SD access.) Testing with a new power supply and/or HD Retrovision cables (which I think are out of stock right now) will take a bit longer as I have to order those parts.

I also have not checked the RF shields. If one or both are missing, however, I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Thanks for the help so far.

--
Eric

mightyqdawg

16 Jan 2020, 20:04

I switched out the 128GB Samsung microSD card I was using for a 128GB Sandisk Ultra (apparently, the recommended brand). The visual noise pattern was slightly different and appeared less pronounced on several games (HuCards and CDs). Overall, I believe the video quality improved, but this is subjective (and maybe even wishful thinking). I also noticed longer latency when reading the directories for ROMs (which I'm sure is directly related to the microSD card performance itself). Unless that results in performance problems during gameplay, I can live with that. I'd rather have cleaner video than snappy menus.

If/when I get a new power supply and/or HD Retrovision cables, I'll try to post my results here again.

--
Eric

dshadoff

17 Jan 2020, 02:21

The long read time is directly related to the number of files in the directory (and secondarily to SDCard read performance); literally, it has to make a lot of read commands due to the nature of the filesystem. I would not recommend sticking all ROM files in the same folder for this reason.

You shouldn't experience any delays during gameplay.

Return to “Super SD System 3 Discussion”